Hi there I'm Jack

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Visit Columbia Road Flower Market and Shops

I visited Columbia Road Flower Market in London a couple of weeks ago to purchase my plants for my window boxes, those of you who haven’t experienced Columbia Road Flower Market really should pay a visit, forget Covent Garden, this is where you'll find all your flowery needs met. Yes, the flower market is a historic part of London and if you want to see a bit of real working London this is a good a place as any. You'll see Pearly Kings and Queens there too! Since I've moved to London, the market has been my go-to for a Sunday afternoon wander. Get there about 2pm ‘ish and you'll get all the bargains too. You’ll find a huge selection of annuals, bedding plants, shrubs, house plants and cut flowers at a fraction of the price of most Garden Centres.





But that's not all, I love this market because it is on a fabulous street with over 60 independent shops and cafes on it. There is a wonderful sweet shop, cupcake shop, and vintage tea china store to name but a few. If you fancy taking a break from the market for a warm brunch or cup of tea/coffee, are tons of cute little cafes to pop in to along the road as well.




It smells amazing in the afternoon, when the flowers have been out all morning - making it just wonderful. Yes you'll find bigger flower markets in other cities but this one is London’s and it makes me proud. I'd choose this gem over any other commercial garden centre for price, advise and supporting real London businesses.



The atmosphere of the whole market is simply adorable, as well as Columbia Road itself. All the shops along the road are independently owned and so lovely. You’ll also find street entertainment most Sundays. So bundle up warm, grab a coffee, and get ready to face the crowds on Columbia Road. It's worth the trek, I swear!



Now I’ve finished creating my window boxes, over the next few days, I plan to create my own hanging baskets. Drama and lavish extravagance is what I love about hanging baskets, with their lush cascades of foliage and flowers. They're a great opportunity to experiment with imaginative combinations, including houseplants, and escape from run of-the-mill bedding options. – I cant wait for my next trip to Columbia Road to choose my plants for my hanging baskets, I know that there I will be able to find the variety I desire.





Check out the website for the Columbia Road Flower Market and shops, the website provides directions to Columbia Road and also a brief history to this historic part of good old London town.

http://www.columbiaroad.info/home.html






Hope you enjoyed reading this weeks blog, until the next one then…….

Jack

7 comments:

  1. Mary Davenport31 May 2011 at 03:22

    well done Jack - another fabulous blog with a great suggestion for something to do on a sunday afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jack, this really brightened up my bank holiday Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds obviously do think alike!

    R x

    http://loveloathinglondon.blogspot.com/2011/05/foxgloves-and-foxes.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember going to Columbia flower market as a little boy with mom and dad and my brother and sister. I dont live in London anymore after moving to Canada 25 years ago. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret Pillatt31 May 2011 at 12:40

    Fantastic blog as always Jack! Shame I don't live nearer so I could visit Columbia Road Flower Market. I'm quite envious

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Jack for the recomendation

    ReplyDelete
  7. I intend to go this Sunday, I've lived in London all my life and didnt know this place existed

    ReplyDelete